Friday 31 December 2010

A Little Christmas Recycling!



















Morning All!
I thought you might like to see my attempt at being thrifty today by recycling old packaging to make something crafty. First I painted a little wooden box with gold acrylic and then decorated it with Bo Bunny Papers and Stickles. I decided to make a mini album for inside and made little pockets from the cardboard used to back various craft embellishments before covering them in the Bo Bunny Papers to match. I roughly decorated the sides of each pocket with a sweep of the gold paint to tie it all together. I punched a hole in each pocket and added a ring to bind them all together (which I'm going to add ribbon to when I've completed the album).
On the front I made a flower using red metallic petite four cases which had held little chocs at Christmas and popped a big gold button in the centre.
Inside each pocket I made a tag - the back of the tag was made with the designer papers whilst the front used a piece of plastic packaging off my craft embellishment packaging which I quickly whizzed through the Cuttlebug using the Devine Swirls folder then tied them together with a piece of ribbon that had been around a parcel.
Finally, on the top of the box I made the big flower. This was done using the plastic packaging again which I glued some pieces of Chrismas material from an old swatch to the back using Glossy Accents. I then cut out the flower and holly shapes freehand and heated the plastic and material sandwich up with my heat gun to allow me to shape them. When I was happy with the shape - I poked a hole through them all and secured them with a brad and mini silk flower before popping it on the top of my box. (The are some great videos on Youtube on this heating plastic technique.)
I had some lovely crafty embellishments for Christmas off my husband but before I use them I've managed to make use of some the packaging too! Hope I'll be able to be that thrifty in the New Year and try to curb my addiction for new products but somehow...I'm not sure I will! ha! ha!
Hope you like it - I hope to enter my little creation in the Trip Down Memory Lane Challenge to recycle your packaging.
Best wishes and Happy New Year!
Karen x

No comments:

Post a Comment