Friday 14 March 2014

Angelica and Adam Magic Box

Hi All!
Today, over on the Crafter's Companion Facebook Page I shared this 'Magic Box' that I created using images from the CD 'Angelica and Adam'.

I made the box from scratch and decorated it inside and outside with matching papers and decoupaged little cameos of the lovely characters in this collection.


The box opens out to reveal four little shelves to pop treats or sweets inside and then closes back up, topped with a lid.



Below I have included the measurements and quick tutorial for making a magic box.

First cut four pieces of card measuring 5in x 5in and score on all sides at one inch. Cut at the dotted lines to make tabs and then fold and glue into place to make four boxes.


Next, cut one piece of card at 13in x 4  3/4 in and score at 3 1/4 in, 6 1/2in and 9 3/4 in. You will now have four equal sections.


Take one box at a time and attach one in each of the four sections you have created. I used red line tape to hold them in place. Top Tip  - Attach boxes in the first and the last section and then you can judge where to place your middle two boxes. Check that they all fit without touching by folding the sides together so that the construction closes smoothly.


To make a lid. Cut a piece of card at 5 1/8 in x 5 1/8 in and score all four sides at one inch. Create the taps and stick together in the same way that you made the four interior boxes. (See note below in 'Extras' about making lid bigger.)

Extras

  • You can now decorate the  interior boxes in any way you like and create decorated panels to glue to the exterior.
  • For a closure - glue ribbon beneath the exterior panels so that you can tie the whole construction closed. I opted against the ribbon idea for this project as it was for a boy, so instead I added a fifth panel onto my exterior construction and added a magnet closure. The choice is yours! (See Below)

  • If you add a few mats and layers to your exterior panels, consider making your lid slightly bigger than 5 1/8 in x 5 1/8 in to compensate. I would advise making the lid last so that you can ensure you get a good fit.
  • Remember to place your exterior decoration lower than one inch from the top so that the lid will fit on!
Hope this helps. Any questions please ask!
I would like to enter this into the following challenge:
Best wishes and bye for now
Karen x

1 comment:

  1. OH MY WORD!!!!!! I'm bookmarking this but I'm not sure I'll ever have the guts to try it!!!!
    Thanks for sharing with us at MAWTT,
    xxxx
    Riette (Red), DT.

    ReplyDelete